Monday, July 5, 2010

The end of the transition and the beginning of a new journey



Despite the doubts I had, I stuck to my guns and big chopped on June 24th. And I have to say, I love it! My life has been so much easier now that I'm completely natural. The end result was much better than the experience unfortunately. I went to a stylist to get my hair cut. I had the choice between doing it myself or going a natural hair salon. I'm a big DIYer but I decided I wanted a professional cut and I for one can't cut a straight line drawn on a piece of paper. I could just imagine the misshapen Fro I would create. I chose to go with my stylist over the natural hair salon because my stylist is also natural and I like her.

And this is where the adventure begins . . . . so I've come to realize that there are several different kinds of naturals. Some that rock their curly, coily texture, those that chose to wear their hair straight and those that mingle between the two. Now when I was natural in high school my hair was always pressed. My hair would of course curl up living in humid GA but I try to keep it straight. When I originally decided to go back to natural, my plan was to wear it straight. Mainly because I was unaware how to wear and care for my natural texture.

My stylist like I said is natural but she is a natural that wears her hair straight. I even think that she had straighten her hair to the point where it doesn't curl anymore. Is that heat damage? I guess. Maybe. So instead of being super excited about my big chop, she tried to discourage me. She could understand why I was doing it and what I was going to do with my 2 inches of coils. She seemed a little disgusted saying, "I couldn't wear an afro". I thinking that's the best part of being natural. I love big 'Fros. Well suffice it to say, I was pissed the entire time she was cutting my hair. I had my girls with me and they tried to cheer me up but this was not the kind of experience I expected. If I would've gone to the natural hair salon, I feel like my big chop would have been celebrated instead of questioned. We live and we learn. I won't be giving her my money anymore which might be the reason she acted with so much guff.

But I'm natural now baby and I'm loving it. I haven't experience too much negativity. It's all out weighted by the compliments I've been receiving.

2 comments:

Daenel T. said...

I'm sorry your BC was such a negative experience for you. Although I understand that stylists feel like they can offer an opinion, I think they need to understand there comes a point when it's the client's decision and they need to back off. I'm totally loving your curls and I'm proud of you and happy for you. Enjoy your hair and rock on!

KinkyCurlySoul said...

@daenel I appreciate her making sure that I was making the right decision but of course I didn't want to hear that. I thought she would understand what I was doing. She didn't even know how I would style my hair afterward. I was like with gel???? But I think I was more disappointed at her lack of knowledge.