Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where are "the trashy black girls"?


The blogosphere has been splattered with talk about American Apparel's Dress Code. The conversation even reached Glamour.com, which has three blogs I’ve been subscribing to for the past year and a half. Slaves to Fashion, Girls in the Beauty Department and Vitamin G, gives tips for fashion, beauty and health along with all the latest news in their perspective areas. I was disappointed however to see what Glamour choose to focus on in their article on American Apparel. Instead of discussing the “trashy black girls” statement, they were appalled at the fact that employees couldn’t wear bangs. Like really? Bangs? I honestly didn’t need them to do a feature dedicated to the “trashy black girls” statement but could’ve at least mentioned it. While I shouldn’t be upset that a predominately white magazine would understand the significance American Apparel’s dress code had on the black community, I feel they could have at least touched on the subject. As one of their faithful readers, I felt excluded and overlooked. It a blatantly  racist driven statement which to me goes beyond the dress code. It hits the customers too. 

No comments: